Monday, September 19, 2005

First Step for the Little Man

Sorry I haven't written in a few days. We've had a very busy week with Rob's parents visiting from Vancouver. Lucas is thrilled to have all the attention and overjoyed us all by taking his first few unassisted steps for everyone to see. He walked between Rob and I to get another toy and laughed along with us in excitement when we cheered. Since then he has taken a few more tentative steps, but is not quite ready to give up his speedy crawling around. It truly is amazing how fast he is growing up right now. I feel like every day he is achieving something dramatiaclly new. He "coloured in" a picture I drew for him on the weekend, now says' "da" meaning dog very clearly, and has sprouted teeth faster than a pubescent boy sprouting hair. Mmmm....I guess we still have that to look forward to! He is developing a really great personality laced with minor temper tantrums. He seems to have inherited my goofy sense of humour and can scream along in unison when I do my monkey impersonation. Rob LOVES that(tee hee)! We can't believe that a year has almost passed with him in our lives. We are so blessed and proud; as I'm sure all new parents are!

Yesterday we took the day to drive inland up to a colonial town called Patzcuaro. We couldn't have picked a better day as the town was filled with people, dancers, music, balloons and life for their anniversary celebration. It was one of the most beautiful towns in Mexcio that Rob and I have ever seen, reminding us a lot of San Cristobal in Chiapas. The climate was a little cooler, allowing us to have a lovely walk around the town admiring the architecture and ample crafts for sale. Rob and I purchased an incredible painting of the Virgen of Guadalupe (one of our favorites) to one day bring home. Quite a treat. Mom, of course, went wild buying loot for George, Jus and Logan, as well as a basket for her quilting things and various other little knick-knacks. Rob's parents got their first chance to see a truly authentic Mexican market and town, and were suitably impressed, I believe. Our only regret all day was that we were too full to eat from the abundant ceviche de camaron stands (shrimp cocktail) and we had to leave it until our next visit. We hope to return for the Day of the Dead on the 2nd of November. Patzcuaro is famed for its celebrations. Rob and I can't imagine anything more spectacular than what we saw for the Day of the Dead in Oaxaca, so I'm sure it will be incredible.

1 comment:

mamafliz said...

Yah Lucas! First steps are soooooo exciting :-) Give him a big, big congratulatory hug from Tia J.