Monday, February 04, 2008

January

January started off with a torrent of work for me. I'm working for the Vancouver School Board as a teacher on call for the adult system, and it seemed that everyone either took long holidays or got really sick. I also was thrilled to get my first temporary contract with the VSB which will start in Febuary. I'm finding the hours just right - enough time to spend with the kids balanced with me time and interesting classes to teach. Except for the fact that I haven't had enough field hockey with the fields being frozen or snow-covered, it's been a great start to 2008.

Oh yeah, and maybe except the fact that I didn't supervise Lucas and a bottle of dish soap well enough... (see above picture... you should have seen the floor)


We had a great weekend with our friends the Ows in Whistler. The weather was beautiful, there was a lot of fresh snow and most importantly, we survived five kids and four adults in the condo.






Now for the hairy update. I was thrilled to realize that Mia's hair is now long enough for ponytails. Rob came home from work last week to find Mia, Lucas and I all sporting the trendy new Herman style. Lucas' mop, of course, got completely tangled and dreadlocked. We'd been talking about a trim for him, so it seemed like the time. Rob took him over to magicuts this last weekend. Now normally this creates a pretty cheap and reasonable haircut sported by most male children this side of town. This time, however, the lady would not be convinced that Lucas was indeed a boy. (Or more likely it was that she didn't understand.) Anyhow, he came home with a haircut most reminicent of Rob's prince valiant bob circa 1995. Do some of you remember? Apparently Lucas has inherited those hair genes that result in weird haircuts. Anyways, I did a complete hack job that night trying to fix it and today (likely the result of two haircuts in two days) Lucas took matters into his own hands. Not too much damage done, but some people's valentine cards may come glued with curly locks. Sweet, I'd think. No pictures until it grows out... oh actually I take that back. This is all in time for photo day at school this week. Of course.



Sleepy heads with colds post Whistler pre haircuts.



Lucas loves doing headstands and makes me feel nostalgic for the days when I would hang out around the house upside down.


1 comment:

Ericandles said...

I live in fear of children, scissors and hair. Our Lucas is sporting some pretty funny, white blond wings over his ears and I have been tempted to try fixing them...I have a feeling it wouldn't end well.