Saturday, August 01, 2009

This is why...


This is why we spend endless cranky moments putting sunscreen on our children...

This week I had a patch of basal cell carcinoma - skin cancer - removed from my face. It is the type that is likely from juvenile sun exposure before the age of twenty. I'm blaming mine on the time we spent in Africa rather than stupidity in my teen years, but it sure has put into perspective the reasons why we protect our skin. Today I drove past Kits beach; packed with people bronzing themselves, and I cringed. I really did.


3 comments:

Black Jack's Carol said...

Cristina, your post was a shock! One of my fears, and yet I spend hours riding my bike and watching birds, most of them without sunscreen protection. I'm so sorry you are going through this, but hope the worst is over, and that you are well on your way to a full recovery. The photograph is unforgettable - beauty and wisdom and stark honesty. I will wear sunscreen today. Thank you! Thoughts are with you.

Justine said...

(((hug))) It looks like they did a good job of stitching you up. Here's to fast healing and perhaps purchasing stocks in sunscreen production?

Ericandles said...

Read your post and slathered up myself and the kids. Sadly, what is a good wake up call for me is a stitched up reality for you. Thanks for the much needed heads up and most importantly, hooray for diligent dermatologists! Hope you are healing well and don't forget to zinc that puppy up in the sunshine. Start working on creative "How I Got This Scar" stories...those are always fun. Huge hug for you.